CMU School of Drama


Friday, February 11, 2022

Resin-Printed Gears Versus PLA: Which Is Tougher?

Hackaday: When it comes to making gearboxes, 3D printing has the benefit that it lets you whip up whatever strange gears you might need without a whole lot of hunting around at obscure gear suppliers. This is particularly good for those outside the limited radius served by McMaster Carr. When it came to 3D printed gears though, [Michael Rechtin] wondered whether PLA or resin-printed gears performed better, and decided to investigate.

1 comment:

Hikari said...

I recently learned how to 3D print a few months ago, so this article was really interesting for me to learn about different material types. I have only had experience printing using PLA. The shop I use also has resin printers, but I had the perception of them being expensive and brittle. I appreciated that the article gave an explanation on their measurement process for their experiment, and I thought that the video was amazing. I enjoyed the level of information given as well as the bits of humor added. The music was a bit off though haha. I ended up skipping a bit to get to the part where they test the materials, and I thought that this was the most interesting part. As I predicted, the resin was too brittle to take so much weight and abuse. Though PLA may not be as tough, it has a level of elasticity that creates a give to it, allowing it to ultimately be stronger.