CMU School of Drama


Friday, February 11, 2022

Pittsburgh Humanities Festival promises talks on Shakespeare, Kennywood, drag culture, and more

Arts + Entertainment | Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh City Paper: Over the past seven years, the Pittsburgh Humanities Festival has, according to a press release, brought together “internationally acclaimed artists and performers with community leaders, academics, and changemakers from Pittsburgh and beyond for a carefully curated, thought-provoking mix of intimate conversations.” The event returns this year with yet another round of speakers covering a wide range of topics relating to Pittsburgh and beyond.

2 comments:

Katie Sabel said...

First and foremost, I'm shocked and confused as to the fact that we have a Humanities Center here at CMU apparently running since 2003. Being both a senior and a student studying primarily in Dietrich College, I can't believe I haven't heard of it by now. In fact, I’ve never even heard of this festival before despite the fact that it’s supposedly a yearly event. I’m not sure if my advisor is aware of the event enough to advertise it, but I’m definitely going to bring it up with her.

I also wonder what the Humanities Center's relationship with the community is. To me, this event sounds really exciting, but I wonder if it'll be well-attended. The shows I would expect to be very popular, but I'm not sure if the "Core Conversations" series would be as widely attended. I'm especially impressed by their guest line-up, and excited to attend myself.

Elly Lieu Wolhardt said...

I have not heard of the Pittsburgh Humanities Festival, nor did I know about the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust's involvement in it and more specifically, the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust's collaboration with Carnegie Mellon's Humanities department specifically. Various Downtown venues will host the talks, split into three categories: Featured Events, Core Conversations, and Public Open Call. Featured events seems to be shows, and as the name implies, events. Core Conversations are community-wide conversations surrounding literature and art, in addition to climate change, food, and drag. Public Open Call is an invitation for new voices to be heard at the festival, allowing anyone interested in presenting or performing to submit web-based auditions. This is an incredibly exciting festival, and exemplifies how the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust continues to create and engage with the Pittsburgh community. Their work is incredible and I admire how deeply ingrained the arts are in Pittsburgh today.