CMU School of Drama


Monday, August 26, 2019

5 Tips for Finding Community as a POC Arts Professional

www.clydefitchreport.com: I want to share some tips for finding and building community as arts professionals of color. We live in a time when Google spreadsheets are documenting how arts administrators are underpaid and undervalued; when activists and cultural workers increasingly demand accountability from arts-institution boards (especially when the flow of money is connected to the oppression of Black and brown bodies)

1 comment:

char said...

As a displaced person of color, It’s been rough trying to navigate an industry with a new “minority” label. As I am close to move on to the professional world with a big girl degree, I can’t stop but think about how will I be able to find communities. This article has been really helpful on that, especially when it talks about having fun. One of the hardest things for POC folks is staying true to themselves, and rejecting the status quo. Finding a community in our school has been extremely difficult for me because of that. It wasn’t until last year, I was able to find people that vibed with my style, and I could unleash my personality, without feeling too loud or bright in a room. Similarly during my summer jobs, although in the summers its easier to mingle, since its such a short engament, and there are so many different types of people.