CMU School of Drama


Thursday, August 22, 2019

Let Your Voice Be Heard

LIVE & IN COLOR: When Dev first reached about my interest in writing an article for the Live & In Color blog, my first instinct was to decline the offer. I immediately got butterflies in my stomach and that voice in my head started spouting out all the reasons why I shouldn’t do it. Who do you think you are? You’re not a writer! Who’s going to care about your experiences anyway? Since listening to Shonda Rhimes’ audiobook, Year of Yes, in January of this year, I have been pushing myself to step out of my comfort zone. If I could overcome my fear, my story might positively impact another person’s life. I took a deep breath and replied, “Yes, I’d love to write something!”

1 comment:

Mary Emily Landers said...

“In recent years, we have begun to see a visible shift in terms of diversity and inclusion in theatre, television, and film. But there is still so much to be done.” This quote really stuck out to me from this article because I see so much truth behind the words of it. In terms of equality in theatre, we are making strides at becoming more diverse and more equal, not only in the make up of our actors on stage and our technicians behind the scenes, but also in the content we are producing and letting audiences see. This summer at my internship, I got to see the world premiere of “Blue”, an opera that deals with a black family in America and the conflict between a police officer father and his activist son, which gained a lot of acclaim because of it’s subject matter and desire to be watched. I think it’s works like “Blue” that we need to be putting on our stages, that not only highlight and allow for diversity and actors to support and encourage each other, but also bring forward important topics that can make changes both in the theatre world and in our society as a whole.