CMU School of Drama


Thursday, August 24, 2023

Wednesday production designer Mark Scruton video interview

GoldDerby: “When I first got the scripts and when I sat down and thought about how I was going to approach it, I think I very consciously decided that I wasn’t going to go back and re-watch the movies or re-watch the TV shows,” explains “Wednesday” production designer Mark Scruton, whose work on the show earned him an Emmy nomination for Best Production Design for a Narrative Contemporary Program (One Hour or More).

1 comment:

Allie Blaylock said...

I really respect that Scruton and Tim Burton agreed to not research the old shows, movies, or comics for “Wednesday.” They both had seen the show or movies but were able to go in to this show with a truly original idea that I think made the show what it is. I like what he said about finding the balance between the dark, gothic, serious moments and the comical moments. He essentially says that they trusted their instincts, which I think is what artists need to do especially when dealing with a new take on a well-known story. When good artists work together and make something that comes naturally to them it creates an organic and entertaining story.
When he talks about Thing and how the decision that it would be a real person 90% of the time was finalized very close to filming, which meant adjusting many sets and props to account for the unseen actor, it made me think about how ever-changing live theater is and how we constantly have to adjust to unknown or unexpected situations. It’s clearly something that occurs in all aspects of entertainment.