CMU School of Drama


Monday, August 28, 2023

Similarities Between Different Audio Disciplines Part 1

SoundGirls.org: I have been fortunate enough to lead a very diverse career in sound design and audio engineering. Live theater and events – my bread and butter for many years – gave me advanced equipment and signal flow experience; the ability to collaborate closely; and to problem-solve on my feet. Game audio and film sound encourage me to dig deep creatively and focus on sonic details. Broadcasts and podcasts have made me very good at mixing quickly and have expanded my knowledge of equipment. I have had several conversations about how all these industries are related, yet I still find many people who believe one can only specialize in a single sector.

2 comments:

Jessica Williams said...

I find the vast diversity of audio disciplines to be so fascinating. And that leaks out into the larger interest in all the different disciplines within theatre specialties as well. As much as I sometimes feel trapped in the theatre industry, a theatre degree, and the skill sets that come with it, are really very adaptable and flexible. I also have been interested in podcast editing and creation for a long time. I grew up listening to a lot of fiction podcasts and have made a few ill fated attempts to create one with friends. Seeing how similar that is to dialogue editing for TV and Movies is especially fascinating and opens up some corridors that I did not even know existed. Sometimes theatre feels like a one way street that only ends back in a theater so being reminded that there are other ways to progress into the future is quite relieving.

Abigail Lytar said...

The above article takes the reader on a very interesting and informative journey through the world of sound. The blogger goes through the difference between mixing for a podcast, dialogue editing, musical theatre and sound for themed entertainment.The thing about sound and what most people do not understand is sound is a very niche area and has what seems to be very minor differences but actually those differences make a critical difference when it comes to sound. I think the article did a good job of covering the basics of sound mixing in the different types. It went into detail without getting too technical for the layperson to understand. However what I would love to see would be a follow up article or tutorial giving the dirty details of exactly how these practices are applied when designing and producing sound.