CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Top Gun - Maverick: Seth Hill – VFX Supervisor – Method Studios

The Art of VFX: Every week, we’d pull the entire team together and announce the “Top Gun of the Week” and have a new member of the team nominated. They’d sign a volleyball with their name and call sign and keep it at their desk that week till the next person was nominated. I loved seeing the entire team each week get excited and cheer on another member. It really made this one of the most memorable groups of people I’ve ever had the privilege of working with.

1 comment:

Abby Brunner said...

I saw Top Gun Maverick in theatre, and I believe that the only part I really enjoyed was the CGI when it came to the plane fightings and flying. This was a movie where the CGI was so well incorporated and used that it took me till halfway through to notice the CGI in the planes. When Seth Hill talks about how this was accomplished via CGI I am amazed by the way current technology helps advance our films and experiences.
They worked with Lockheed Martin to create a shell of the main plane that Tom Cruise would be using for the movie. They then scanned it so that it was the same exact plane flying through the CGI, and used the shell for shots, pictures, and other stills. I found this super interesting because most of the other planes and military flying vehicles, were real, or they were scans as well. This alone must have taken a lot of time and coordination to be able to scan an aircraft and then manipulate it on screen so that the image does what it’s supposed to do while also looking realistic. This article made me realize how we often take CGI for granted in movies, and how it should be praised more for what it’s able to accomplish and change within the movies.