CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Top 10 Costume Design Schools in the U.S. 2023

The Hollywood Reporter: For the aspiring costume designer who dreams of creating looks for film, television, theater and concert stages, the journey typically starts with the right school, where a host of considerations awaits. Classroom size, location, specialized classes, participation in theater programs, job placement, networking with alums and, most important, tuition are all part of the equation. As schools meet the demands and technology of an ever-changing entertainment landscape, nothing tops a good education.

2 comments:

Hailey Garza said...

It doesn’t surprise me at all to see Carnegie Mellon on this list. Even just being here for a semester and a half, I can see that so many students come here specifically for the costume program. We have a fantastic costume shop (with a great view might I add). Our professors are top-notch, active in the industry, inspiring, and push the limits of how we do theatre every day. And the success rate of our costume alumnus are very high up there. There are so many costume designers, tailors, shop managers, and all the other roles of costumes that are big names in our industry. It’s great to see our name up with other schools known for their great theatre programs, like Yale, NYU, UNCSA, and others. We admit people who are willing to learn and who, are too, willing to push the boundaries of costuming. That’s what makes CMU’s costume program so great. -Hailey G

Kendall Swartz said...

These top 10 lists that popular journal journalism pages will post are always interesting to me. I followed a lot of these as I was choosing colleges, and I would study them. Carnegie Mellon being in the top 10 another year is one of the reasons that I chose the school because every list that I looked at they were mostly in. One thing I found interesting about this list was there were two schools that I never heard of and even though I’m committed to a school, I sometimes like looking at other schools' programs, I had never heard of FIDM before. I do think it’s interesting to have that merchandising title in there as well. Probably one of the reasons I didn’t look at the school was because it was mainly based in film and television. But with that being said, I’m still surprised, I’ve never heard of it because the costumes look incredible.