CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Influencer Parents and Their Children Are Rethinking Growing Up On Social Media

Teen Vogue: Search Claire’s name online and this is some of what you will find: photos of her as a child, merchandise with her face on it available for sale, and a YouTube channel with millions of subscribers and hundreds of videos featuring Claire and members of her family. In the videos, Claire grows from a toddler to a teenager. On Instagram, fans comment they miss videos from the old days. In public, people sometimes recognize her and ask for photos. Altogether, the family’s YouTube channel has over a billion views but if it were up to Claire, none of the videos would exist.

1 comment:

Hailey Garza said...

At a point in my childhood, I was fascinated by the idea of family vloggers, being a child actor, social media influencers, and I even wanted to record my own life and put it out on the internet. I’m really glad that I didn’t. Being a child and growing up is such a vulnerable part of life. There’s no one on the internet that needed to be able to see my life and get entertainment from what I did on a daily basis. For popular kids who are on the internet because of their parents, it’s unfair that they are forced into this kind of “job.” They have to make videos because that’s how they earn money, or tjey have things in their life that are exposed that they might not want out in the public when they’re grown up. As I mature and become more of an adult, I know I don’t want to put my future children under that much pressure, from me or from the public eye.