CMU School of Drama


Monday, March 20, 2023

'A piece of my heart onstage': Patrick W. Lord on his new play for tots

DC Theater Arts: While Patrick W. Lord is a familiar name in the DC-area theater community, most people know him from his work as a projection and video designer, Lord has gained national attention from his design work on multiple national tours, including Mean Girls, On Your Feet!, and Hairspray. Lord also enjoys writing, particularly for children. Start with a Spark, a children’s book that Lord co-wrote with Nitya Ramlogan, is now on sale at local Politics and Prose bookstores.

1 comment:

Jordan Pincus said...

This gives me so much joy. I am in full agreement about creating theatre and art for young audiences. Theatre is impactful and inspirational, no matter how young. And I am definitely a proponent of getting kids interested in the arts early. If someone saw The Lion King as a child, I can almost guarantee that they remember at least a feeling associated with that experience. When I saw the statement that the theatre was for “2-5 year olds”, I interpreted that as written for those ages to BE in, but this makes more sense. I would imagine that you’d have to be about 6 and up to start really taking in more complex compositions of theatre. The nonverbal element I’m sure is very effective - the kids are probably immersed in the imagery and can coherently follow a story through gestures. The sentiment that one can make “really unique and fundamental connection[s]” with young audiences thrills me and inspires me. You can hate on MTI Jr. shows all you want, but they’re totally fundamental. I reiterate, if someone was in a show in middle school, that’ll stick with them.