CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, February 15, 2023

A new look at high fidelity music: The rise of Dolby ATMOS and Spatial Audio

Globalnews.ca: Just off the freeway in the Valley is the Sound City Complex, a horseshoe-shaped building in the middle of an industrial zone. The site once featured the famed Sound City recording studios where everyone from Fleetwood Mac to Nirvana to Johnny Cash made some of the world’s famous records. Across the parking lot is another studio, but it’s devoted to something entirely different.

1 comment:

Unknown said...


When I first got headphones that were compatible with spatial audio and tried the technology for the first time an itch was scratched in my brain in a very unique way. I personally was a little wigged out by how the sound felt like it was coming from all over the room I was in. I personally am so excited to see this technology incorporated into new moves and concert experiences. I do think that this article does bring up a good point I had not thought of before which is how this technology should be used on old media and if it affects the integrity of the audio and what the artist intended. I know that with plays certain criteria need to be met by those producing the works in order for rights to be approved and I am curious if in the future that is where the music industry is heading too as how you consume a song heavily affects how you view the work and the artist as a whole.

Theo Kronemer