CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, January 17, 2023

How Designer Bailey Elayne Makes Pom Pom Squad's Stagewear

www.altpress.com: The visual world of the indie-rock band Pom Pom Squad is an immersive amalgamation of a Sofia Coppola film, a lookbook of Courtney Love's '90s kinderwhore style, the pages of a teenage girl's diary, and the interior of a Victorian doll house. It's a feminine, decadent aesthetic that's as ingrained in the New York band spearheaded by Mia Berrin as is their heart-on-your-sleeve garage-rock — displayed everywhere from their cinematic music videos to their live shows, where Berrin sports flouncing dresses fit for senior prom.

1 comment:

Kendall Swartz said...

I found it really interesting. This article about Bailey Elaine. Her design work really is something that I find quite interesting. The fact of where she pulls a lot of her inspiration from whether it be Wizard of Oz or Courtney Love I find is really interesting. She talks about the girly and feminine styles that are expected to be traditional and female traits, and how she really holds on to that and she wants to change the way it is seen as soft and weak and make it see something that is amazing with this aesthetic. I also really liked how she found inspiration from the Powerpuff Girls. I can see where she can find that through her high feminine aesthetic. I also like how she mixes genres together with indie genres so she can have lighter designs, and rock aesthetics as well to create more depth to the designs. I feel like her work is very empowering and I like how much she’s accomplished.