CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 01, 2021

Aaron Sorkin on Scott Rudin: “He Got What He Deserves”

Vanity Fair: On October 5, more than 18 months after COVID-19 shut down Broadway, To Kill a Mockingbird will reopen at the Shubert Theatre. Aaron Sorkin’s hit adaptation of Harper Lee’s novel, now the highest-grossing American play in Broadway history, will return with original stars Jeff Daniels, as Atticus Finch, and Celia Keenan-Bolger, in her Tony-winning performance as Scout Finch. But according to Sorkin, the show will not be exactly like it was during its first run. The Oscar-winning scribe and director Bartlett Sher have spent several weeks in rehearsals making subtle changes to the play that better fit the current time and the societal reckoning brought on by the Black Lives Matter protests that occurred during a global pandemic.

2 comments:

Sophia Coscia said...

I saw “To Kill A Mockingbird” the season it premiered on Broadway. I thoroughly enjoyed the production and I enjoyed Aaron Sorkin’s work on one of my favorite films, “The Social Network”. However, I just frankly do not believe that Sorkin knew nothing about the abuse Scott Rudin was causing to the assistants and other staff members of their joint projects. It feels impossible that Sorkin would have noticed no change in the morale, he claims to love so much in his casts and crews. Either he is clueless or lying. Industry professionals in high power with much prestige turning a blind eye to the harmful actions of their friends is the exact reason the industry has such a toxic nature. Aaorn Sorkin and others on the project should have acted fast, and not allowed Scott Rudin’s actions to perpetuate. I am thankful, however, that Rudin is no longer a part of the production and will most likely not work within the industry again.

Madison Gold said...

I hope that I get to see To Kill a Mockingbird in the future. I think it is awesome that the original performers of Atticus and Scout. I believe that this story is so important and I am excited to see/hear the changes that they have worked on in rehearsal to make this story even more applicable to our day. The situation with Scott Rudin is an unfortunate situation but I am relieved that that kind of behavior is now being called out and that he no longer is affiliated with this production. This interview covered a lot of ground. I really enjoy a lot of the works that Aaron Sorkin has been a part of. Everything that he does just a a very strong feel of realness to it and it sucks you in. I am also looking forward to the I love Lucy film with Nicole Kidman. His approach seems unique.