CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 28, 2021

Projection mapping cities | Barco explores the rising trend

blooloop: The projection mapping market is estimated to be worth USD 2.8 billion in 2021 and is projected to reach USD 7.9 billion by 2026. Retail is playing an increasing role, but media and culture remain the main applications. Projections onto landmark buildings continue to be a major attraction. So, what is driving the growth of projection mapping worldwide now and into the future?

1 comment:

John Alexander Farrell said...

The more I read about projection mapping and the work of multimedia designers the more I am stunned at the realm of possibilities. The creativity of these people never fails to amaze me. I must admit, however, I did not use to be a fan of projections. I always considered them a cheap solution to set design. That being said, as I come to understand the importance of projection mapping as a revolutionary medium in the entertainment business I cannot help but, once again, become amazed at the works of these people. As far as projection mapping of major cities is concerned, I agree with the article. While this trend already tends to occur on major cultural attractions, projection mapping spectacular images and videos bring the piece to life. In the words of Barco, they “create a vibe” and, oftentimes emphasize special occasions such as celebrating an independence day and/or reminiscing on the city's rich cultural heritage.