CMU School of Drama


Monday, March 01, 2021

Learn the Age Old Craft of Weaving When You Get Your Own Loom

mymodernmet.com: Crafts can be a form of meditation. These process-driven activities often require the same steps repeated over again and encourage you to lose yourself in the act of making. Embroidery, for instance, is centered around poking a threaded needle through the same piece of fabric until your design is complete. Weaving is another craft with similarly calming qualities; it invites you to move a piece of yarn (or other material) back and forth through strings attached to a loom until you have a completed textile. The gentle motion is soothing, and best of all, it’s easy for you to try yourself.

1 comment:

Jem Tepe said...

When I was learning the different schools of thought when it comes to "what is art" hearing that there are some people who don't consider textile arts and "crafts" art makes me so angry. Textile art is so beautiful and whenever I see some, it totally takes my breath away. The time and effort that goes into creating some of these is just astounding, and some of them I really can't tell how they were made. I love crafts, so I think I would really enjoy weaving on a loom, but truthfully I just do not think I have the time, which makes me really sad. One of the greatest sacrifices that I made when starting college was my total lack of free time to do things like arts and crafts, and even just drawing and painting. I've even seeing people online weaving using plants and flowers, which, I don't know how long it would be able to stay intact, but it was absolutely beautiful. I'm hoping that I get time to experiment with textiles in the future.