CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 24, 2021

10 TV Costume Designers on Their Favorite Looks and Biggest Challenges

www.hollywoodreporter.com: Finalists for the Costume Designer Guild Awards sound off on signature designs from their nominated works in television, from the White Queen in 'The Queen's Gambit' to Queen Charlotte on 'Bridgerton'. 10 talents nominated across multiple TV categories by the Costume Designers Guild talk about inspiration, character, their greatest challenges and when to color outside the lines. The winners will be announced virtually during the organization’s 23rd annual awards ceremony April 13, streaming live on Twitter.

1 comment:

Rhiannnon said...

I learned a lot from this article. The designers for Westworld, The Queens Gambit, Euphoria and Bridgerton are all brilliant I loved the inspiration for the last piece worn in The Queen’s Gambit, it was my favorite piece but I hadn’t even realized that it symbolizes the Queen pawn. I just thought it was a bold outfit symbolizing that she’s finally taking control of her life but it means so much more now. I had to look up what a lot of these costumes looked like. They even excluded the transforming dress from West World but that was my favorite. It was flawless and didn’t look bunch at the top. I liked the conversation about historical accuracy at the end as well. I think anachronism can work well in a piece if thats the goal of the director. Like Hamilton and Bridgerton, which are inspired by the time period but of trying to tell a historical accurate story. For other period dramas, bad silhouettes and modern hairstyles can really ruin a show for me.