CMU School of Drama


Monday, March 22, 2021

Hollywood Workplace Culture Won't Look the Same After COVID Ends

Variety: Working in entertainment may never look the same again. To hear numerous executives tell it, the past 12 months have shifted the paradigm for modern office life. Gone are the days of staying tethered to a desk until the boss leaves for the night. Showing up to work with a nasty cold no longer a badge of honor but a mark of disregard for your colleagues. And getting hired for a job that is headquartered in a totally different city or working remotely from a distant location might become more commonplace.

1 comment:

Reiley Nymeyer said...

I completely agree with this article. I have had my own notions of never really believing that things will “return to normal.” And I keep saying this because it seems like we don’t know what normal IS anymore. There are so many things that work completely fine over Zoom while some completely fail. I don’t imagine many companies or the entertainment industry as a whole to just throw away Zoom or these alternative tactics to get work done if they’re going to save said company some money or employers the grief of going into work in the “traditional” way. I also agree that so much is going to stay for a very long time. Honestly, I don’t see myself abandoning a mask for a while. I’d LOVE more than anything for things to return to a sense of normalcy, where I can feel comfortable seeing my friends in groups and meeting new people and getting to share my drink with a friend… but it feels so far away. Maybe that’s my pessimism shining through.