CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Thai pageant fans fighting mad over ‘stolen’ fish costume

Coconuts Bangkok: Miss Universe Thailand won’t change course when she takes the stage in Florida next month despite the fact fans are furious about a fishy rival stealing her thunder. Pageant officials signaled yesterday that Amanda Obdam will still wear her Siamese Fighting Fish costume as planned even though Thai pageant addicts are accusing Laos of ripping it off and pre-empting it for another pageant happening this week in Bangkok.

1 comment:

Reiley Nymeyer said...

I felt the need to touch this article as a Thai American woman myself. This is so interesting to me because there is a certain level of… nationality… in Thai culture when it pertains to Miss Universe. I know my Thai family and honestly Thailand as a country takes it pretty seriously, and ESPECIALLY so with the costume competition. Thailand always pulls out with very elaborate and well thought out avant garde numbers that are surefire crowd pleaser. To hear that there is some possible controversy of stealing concepts and stealing of fish… very interesting. I can totally see the outrage from Thailand though. I know Laos is very similar and close to Thailand… but there is a strong sense of Thai nationalism. And while I don’t know the details of this fish and exactly where it lies, the design alone is far too much of a nod to Thailand for it to be representing an entirely different country.