CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 12, 2020

Advance Research Group pushes innovation

blog.etcconnect.com: Maintain the quality of light. That was the company message in 2011. Global energy conservation laws were coming fast and furious and the world was asking questions about the long-term impact of incandescent lighting. Commercial and residential facilities began swapping practical lighting from incandescent to LED sources but ETC was there to slow down the theatre and live event world and remind them of what they were about to sacrifice.

1 comment:

Jonah Carleton said...

I had no idea there was such a drastic difference in quality of light between LEDs and incandescent light. I had always assumed that LEDs were superior simply because they were much more sustainable. And while I do maintain that in lighting, and every other facet of theater, sustainability needs to be prioritized, I understand now shifting so quickly to LEDs might be harmful to the artistic practices of some designers. I’m glad someone is doing the research to try to fill in the gaps of what sets most people off LEDs. I hope soon we can have energy efficient LEDs whose light quality are almost indistinguishable from an incandescent source. I’m not super familiar with light color theory but I knew creating red was a challenge. So I’m excited to see this group create and LED with a deep red color. Hopefully the world of lighting can give these a chance even when incandescent light seems to be universally preferred for its quality.