CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 25, 2019

PLASA 2019 - Show Highlights

LightSoundJournal.com: After a few years of uncertainty and seemingly scaled-back participation, it seems that PLASA is on its way back up. The move from Excel back to Kensington’s London Olympia took place 3 years ago now, and this has certainly worked wonders for the show. It would arguably be foolish to suggest that the show could return to its “heyday” era, where it filled two relatively expansive halls of Earls Court exhibition centre, however the proposed move to Olympia’s larger hall for next year’s edition of the show is certainly a display of optimism from the event’s organisers.

1 comment:

Alexa Janoschka said...

I have never heard of PLASA until reading this article. From the article, I gathered that the event is a showcase of technology and companies change show off their tech. It was very interesting to read about the newest technology that these companies are releasing. I must say that whoever was writing this put a lot of jargon into the article, that is to be expected because anyone who reads this would probably be a lighting nerd and want to geek out about all the cool tech that is going into these lights (aka me). I want to look into ETC's Agment3d system, I've seen a few articles on it but I don't know how it works or what designers would use it for (how does it differ from a visualizer software) I'm still a little confused about what PLASA is and how it works but it is interesting to see these big lighting companies come together to show off their tech. I don’t know if I’d attend PLASA over LDI but you never know and they would both bring different experiences.