CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 17, 2019

What's the Best Broadway Can Be? TedxBroadway Finds Out

thebroadwayblog.com: The stage is set for TEDxBroadway 2019. Organizers announced the complete list of speakers for the popular one-day event dedicated to asking “What’s the BEST Broadway can be?” at New World Stages on Tuesday, September 24, 2019.

“We’re incredibly excited about the breadth and depth the speakers are bringing to the stage for the Broadway community this year,” says Jim McCarthy, TEDxBroadway Co-Founder and CEO of Goldstar. “They’re experts in things like human-centered design solutions, large-scale shared immersive experiences, and yes, even Bourbon, and all have unique insights that may spark ideas within us to help make Broadway the best it can be.”

2 comments:

Emily Brunner (Bru) said...

I am so excited about this event by TED. I love listening to TedTalks and Ted Radio hour podcasts. AND I love theater and all things Broadway. It seems like this event was destined for me. The line up of people who are in this TED talk are really diverse. There is a Parisian chef, a 30 under 30 film director, a professional enthusiast (which I did not know was a thing but I love it), and a co-founder of an AI tech company. I wonder how all of these people fit into the world of Broadway and what they will all talk about/contribute to this talk. This is why I love TED so much; they incorporate so many different people from different backgrounds with diverse opinions to give the listener a holistic view of a subject that makes me think about the world in a totally new way every single time. I absolutely cannot wait for this talk to come out next week. I will be refreshing my youtube all day.

Shahzad Khan said...

I think about the topic of What is the Best Broadway Can Be quite often since I plan on entering an industry that is highly shaped by what type of work is created and celebrated on broadway stages. The group of speakers aren't people that are your typical artistic director, playwright, designer, actor, etc., people that know exactly what to say to get quoted in a newspaper and end up on a bunch of theater peoples facebooks, It's people who come from different professions and wakes of life that see a worth in theater and broadway as a whole. For me, Broadway is working best when creativity and innovativeness is recognized and respects the tradition of storytelling as a whole. I'm excited to hear about this TED talk, because it can lead to more ideas have a rippling effect on how work is created and the type of work that is yet to come to broadways stages in the coming years.