CMU School of Drama


Friday, July 27, 2018

What's It Like to Star in a Cult Musical?

Theatre Development Fund – TDF: Stephanie Hsu realized something was happening when she started getting tagged in fan art of her Be More Chill character: theatre-obsessed teenager Christine Canigula. She was surprised that young people from all over the world had discovered an obscure musical that only ran for a month at New Jersey's Two River Theater back in 2015. "We had so much fun while we were out there, but I wasn't thinking that it would generate such a huge following," says Hsu. "It really felt like one day I woke up two years after we did the show, and all of a sudden I had all of this fan art being sent to me. And I was like, what? That was the experience of a lot of the original cast members."

No comments: