CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Product Review: Rosco Earth Umber

Guild of Scenic Artists: If you attended USITT and spoke with the Guild, you were likely asked at some point whether you prefer your Umber Raw or Burnt. Surprisingly, the answers were passionate and logically thought out. Some liked Raw Umber’s ability to be used in an incredible number of applications, while others would argue that Burnt is more valuable as it’s easier to replicate Raw Umber in a pinch. During these conversations, I made the claim that it was a shame that Rosco’s Earth Umber was the awkward stepchild sitting in a corner.

1 comment:

kballay said...

I assumed that there was more than one umber color from Rosco but didn’t realize that there were very logical and thought out reasons that people preferred one over the other. I would be interested in discussing when you use which color and why it works best for that situation with scenic painters. It was very interesting to read this person's opinion about the overlooked sister if raw umber and burnt umber: earth umber. I spent all of last year looking for the perfect neutral dirt brown to use on our sets and It very frustrating that I could have just ordered earth umber and skipped the countless times I tried to mix or search home depot's website for the perfect brown. It was also really interesting to learn that this color was created by mistake because I thought that people would have needed just plain dirt brown just like I did.