CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 23, 2013

Saturn and the Arts: A Challenge

The Clyde Fitch Report: Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of having lunch in Bakersville’s popular diner Helen’s with a dynamic young director who sought me out to talk about some of the things I have written here and elsewhere. He was intelligent, articulate, and clearly well-read, and as we talked, he spoke passionately about his desire to do plays that would speak to small communities. Ironically, he was on a short vacation before heading off to do a freelance gig in another state, where he had been hired to do a contemporary play telling the oft-told story of an upper-middle-class NYC family. He wondered aloud about what relevance that play had for the people who lived in the place where he was going, and he regretted the fact that he would not be there long enough to actually attempt to engage the community in a discussion of the issues raised in the play. He was just a hired gun brought in to get the play on its feet and then move on, and he had taken the gig because he was in the early part of his career and needed to take any paying opportunity that came along.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had not, until now, read anything by Scott Walters, but I must say that I am very impressed by his ideas and his ability to express them. As a young person in the arts, I have the utmost respect for him, based on this article. While I am not necessarily out to change the world, I certainly have some friends who are, and who could, given the support they need. It's great that Scott considers not only how young artists can be supported today, but also how those young artists can give back to those who follow in their footsteps. I've never thought about how "backwards", to put it in Scott's words, the methods for supporting the arts are in this country. I know there isn't enough money put towards the arts, given how important art is for the well-being of many Americans, but I didn't realize until now that the distribution of that too-small amount of money was so skewed. I'd love to see that change, but I'm not sure how such a change could be brought about. Small arts organizations would have to put up a huge fight to make it happen, and with their limited resources, I can't imagine that happening any time soon.