CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 18, 2021

Costume Designer Alexandra Byrne on Jumping From 'Emma' to 'The Flash'

www.thewrap.com: Of all the live-action movies nominated for Oscars on March 15, the one with the earliest release date was Autumn de Wilde’s “Emma.” The Jane Austen adaptation starring Anya Taylor Joy opened 13 months ago, in February 2020, before much of America and the world underwent COVID lockdown. But the vibrant film was cited with two nominations, for Best Makeup and Hairstyling and for Best Costume Design, the latter a sixth nod for Alexandra Byrne (who won in 2008 for “Elizabeth: The Golden Age”).

2 comments:

Brynn Sklar said...

Although I have not seen Emma, I used to be very into the Flash (television show) and I will most likely watch the new movie. One of the biggest parts that make superhero settings immersive, is their costumes. Personally, I believe Alexandra Byrne will do a wonderful job of making these scenes feel as realistic as they could, considering the film is about superhumans. I must imagine that going from a very detailed period piece of the early 19th century, into a fantasy comic book come-to-life was difficult, yet really shows her range as a designer. Byrne seems to be extremely adaptable as a costume designer and truly enjoy what she is doing as well. After already having done work for Marvel’s superhero movies, swapping over to DC’s industry should not be too jarring. It is great that female designers are being more recognized in the industry. Good on her for the Oscar nomination, and now that I know her name, I will be sure to follow the rest of her career.

Evan Riley said...

There wasn't really much information in this article but it was nice to hear how Alexandra Byrne reacted to her recent Oscar Nomination. I was not surprised to hear that she was nominated, but I am torn. I cant decide whether i want her to win for Emma or Ann Roth to win for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. Its like trying to pick a favorite child. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is. I knew Ms. Byrne had worked on Doctor Strange but I didn't know she had worked on Guardians of the Galaxy and The Flash. We usually see the superhero movies as cheesy and the costume design might not be regarded as the greatest. I think Ruth Carter’s designs for Black Panther changed this in the industry. She showed that the costume design even in a superhero movie can be more than just silly latex suits.- Evan Riley