CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 10, 2020

Lynn Nottage on Theatre for One, and theater for many, and keeping busy during COVID

New York Theater: Lynn Nottage, two-time Pulitzer Prize winning playwright (Ruined, Sweat), was put on the waitlist to see Theatre for One’s “Here We Are”; ;that should give you a sense of its popularity.

Nottage is actually one of the eight playwrights whose work is featured in this latest collection of one-on-one “micro plays,” which have been presented online every Thursday from August 20 through September 24 – for free, but you have to sign up at exactly 10 a.m. on the Monday before, and it’s sold out within minutes.

1 comment:

Jem Tepe said...

I cannot believe how amazing this is. I feel like it just makes sense to do something like this, and I'm sure it really does feel like you are on a zoom call with a stranger, because that's kind of what it is. At least for me, it would be very raw and intimidating, but powerful. I have been reading a lot of articles on people are opening the theater back up again, are are planning to, and I believe "one on one" theater could be the perfect arrangement to start bringing theater back. The actor and audience member could easily be six feet apart (or more), and I believe that it would create a connection between two people that many of us have missed. I have never been to a one on one show before, and I have a difficult time with strangers, usually, but I think it would be very exciting and I would love to go to one even after we can go to full audience shows again.