CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 21, 2020

When This Reality Fails You, Try Escaping to a Virtual One

by Cara Mandel | Sep, 2020 | No Proscenium: The Guide To Everything Immersive: In the Before Times I would frequently be told things like, “I don’t know how you can manage all that” or “your schedule sounds exhausting.” To be fair, I did have a pretty serious work-life balance issue. But it was made exponentially worse by the decision to start a side business as well as a new-found addiction to escape rooms and immersive experiences.

1 comment:

Reiley Nymeyer said...

I love escape rooms. I have been to many with friends and they have always been an enjoyable experience. I didn’t even know that virtual escape rooms was a possibility, much less an already realized reality.

The author writes that her sanity was slowly “restored” after playing and reviewing these new wave escape games. She compared her escape room enthusiasm to yoga, which I think is a perfect analogy. This is her mental health outlet.

As I’ve been so lost myself amidst this pandemic, I too have been adamantly searching for an outlet. And I have yet to find one! I don’t know if escape rooms are going to be as much the cure for me as they are for Cara Mandel, but maybe it is something worth checking out. If anything, this article has inspired me to keep pushing and keep working on my own mental health. Because otherwise I know I will be drowning. (If I’m not already! Haha…)