CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 24, 2020

2020 Fall Guide: Theater | Fall Guide

Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh City Paper: Enter the world of Stanley Onion, an ornery 115-year-old man with dementia, and Willy James, a rabbit-eared performance artist, in Dave English’s The Dragon of Polish Hill, the final production of New Hazlett Theater's 2020 Community Supported Art series. The theatrical virtual performance features English, president of the Puppetry Guild of Pittsburgh, known most recently for his outstanding performances as a conservative pig in "Clown vs Puppet" mock election debates, and Austin-based artist, songwriter, and puppeteer Will Schutze.

2 comments:

Evan Riley said...

I am so inspired by all of the theatre going on in pittsburgh! It is amazing to see how the local theatres have persevered and have found ways to create theatre even if it is through a screen. Although there may not be as many people involved as a normal show I’m glad that some theatre makers are still getting opportunities and are able to produce creative performing arts in pittsburgh. I was also surprised to see that the Pittsburgh opera is having a in person performance. I definitely want to look into that and see if I could attend the performance. It has been a very long time since any of us have sat and viewed a piece of art preformed live in front of us. They said that the audience will be socially distanced but I wonder what the production on stage looks like. I hope i can get tickets and go to watch!

Rhiannnon said...

I did not think that Pittsburgh had such a rich theatre culture. I’m so excited for all the plays I’ll be able to watch. I really want to experience an “immersive” theater, I’ve heard of 2 different theaters here doing that and I’m very interested. Alsol, all these theatres are finding very innovative ways in order to continue to do theatre for the community despite the pandemic. While some have done radio plays, others are using zoom or prerecorded videos. The most creative thing I read was a puppet show mock debate created by the Pittsburgh puppetry guide. We have a puppetry guild?.. I LOVE THAT. I also realized that I need to watch more opera and ballet.there are opportunities for theatre design and production in both those disciplines but I don’t know either very well. I think I have a very old perception of what opera is so I’m excited to dive into it, luckily there are so many theaters that host ballets and operas in addition to traditional theater.