CMU School of Drama


Thursday, January 30, 2020

Safe Rigging Advice from an ETCP Certified Rigger

Church Production Magazine: As church productions become larger and more sophisticated, church techs often find themselves involved in projects that require hanging equipment and scenery in their worship environments. The changes in lighting, sound and video, along with the effectiveness of using scenery for the stage have greatly improved our ability to share the gifts that God has given each one of us.

1 comment:

Bianca Sforza said...

I really like how this article is structured. I like how it mentions real world experiences that the author encountered during their productions. I think that becoming a certified rigger would be beneficial to anyone working in the industry with lights, sound, scenery, or generally anything that hangs, which in the case of Design and Production at Carnegie Mellon, is every focus except stage management. From this article, however, it sounds like getting this certification takes a lot of time and effort that I don’t think many people want to put in unless they want to specifically work in rigging. I would be interested in pursuing this certification mostly for the clout and just to have more skills, but I also think that it is genuinely not necessary and would take more time and effort than would be rewarded, in short, it is not worth it in the long run for me. I think it would be cool, but not the smartest use of my time.