CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, April 04, 2018

World premiere musical ‘The Sting’ releases first production shots

Theater Cues: Production photos giving us a first look at the upcoming Broadway-bound world premiere musical “The Sting,” featuring Harry Connick Jr. at the Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, NJ, were released today. In previews now and opening Sunday April 8, the Broadway-bound show is based on the 1973 film of the same title (set in 1936 Chicago) with a complicated plot about two professional grifters (Paul Newman and Robert Redford) who con a mob boss (Robert Shaw).

1 comment:

Drew H said...

I think I have commented on here before about my love of “The Sting” and my hesitation about this musical. Sure, The Entertainer is a great jumping off point for a musical, but with every adaptation to a musical, I am a little scared it will pull away from the story, however, I have been wrong about this before and I hope I am this time. I of course got distracted while reading the article and spent more time then I should have watching clips from the movie. I really hope I get the opportunity to see this show and I look forward to that. Hopefully it makes it to broadway and runs for long enough that I get a chance to see it. I am definitely curious about how they are doing certain things in the musical and how much they have changed. The different locations in the movie are fairly critical to the plot and multiple locations is hard onstage. The photos do seem to show various settings (all fairly realistic) which leads me to believe that scene changes are a big part of the show.