CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 24, 2018

It's Me! Will Shakespeare! Come 'Measure' My New Musical!

www.clydefitchreport.com: It’s hard being a legend. First, you’re always having to top yourself. One flop and people say “Wow, the old boy’s losing it.” And that’s what they were saying when I was 30. Now that I’m 454 years old, you can imagine what they’ll say if my next show isn’t good.

That’s why I was a little nervous when Peter Kellogg and David Friedman approached me about making a musical out of my play, Measure for Measure.

To tell you the truth, Measure has never been one of my success stories. Scholars always claim my plays were written by someone else — Christopher Marlowe, say, or The Earl of Oxford. Measure for Measure is one play I wouldn’t mind them getting credit for.

1 comment:

APJS said...

I love it when dead writers come back to write their own advertising. It’s really neat of them. (Laugh out loud) This was a really cool catch ad for the show. More so I think this is a spring of or a second go around of what has been done with Something Rotten. This was, at least, my first thought when I read the tittle. The story line sounds interesting, but only because even the look if the show first reminded me of a sequel to Something Rotten. I just love Something Rotten so much that my expectation are really high for this new show. I really look forward to seeing or hearing how this dose fairs on the big wide way of broadway. It sounds like this is not going to fall into on of the current broadway pit falls going on right now. Its not a revival (per say), and its not a Hollywood hit transplant. So it has a good shot.