CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Multilingual Technology for Global Entertainment: A Case Study of Netflix

AMT Lab @ CMU: Netflix is the most popular film and television streaming platform in the United States. Conceived in 1997 by entrepreneurs Reed Hastings and Marc Rudolph, Netflix was initially launched as an online, mail-order subscription service. In 2007 the platform began offering digital streaming alongside the pre-existing mail-order rentals, and in 2010 expanded to subscription packages exclusively including Internet-based streaming.

1 comment:

Selina Wang said...

I grew up watching many English movies with Chinese subtitles and even after reaching a native-speaking level in English, I still turn on subtitles when there is an option. If subtitles in Chinese are not an option, I go for closed captions. Somehow I can’t seem to watch any tv shows or movies without subtitles or closed captions, even if they are in a language that I can fully understand. Even though I don’t fully understand why this happens to me, I surely rely heavily on subtitles. It was shocking to me how some streaming services are only available in such a limited amount of languages. I personally use Netflix and Disney+ the most and the two are sufficient for me and I would say that they both have wonderful translators. As streaming services become available internationally, I agree that not only should they have subtitles, but they should also import or produce shows from various countries in different languages. As the article, it’s one of the easier ways for cultural, art, and theme exchanges.