CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 07, 2023

Has the Pandemic Changed Auditions Forever?

Dance Magazine: On the topic of auditions, dancers tend to be split: Some feel they do their best dancing in the high-pressure, fast-paced environment of an open call, while others feel exactly the opposite. Choreographers and directors sometimes struggle with large auditions as well. After all, a few hours isn’t really enough time to get to know each dancer. Longer audition workshops—while allowing everyone more time—can also have major drawbacks. Few dancers can afford a long, unpaid commitment, and many companies even ask dancers to pay for these workshops.

2 comments:

Carly Tamborello said...

Undoubtedly, the best thing to come out of the pandemic was a reframing for how we are using technology in our lives, and how it can be making opportunities/ work more accessible. I’m glad auditions went online for a bit, because it showed how possible it is and how it actually allows more people to audition and be more polished, instead of the additional stress of an open call. The combination dance interviews, where dancers interview for multiple companies and jobs, reminds me of SETC or FTC where we would interview for multiple colleges all in one space. I have friends who are going to UNIFIEDs or other large-scale audition sites, and I’ve always thought that’s a great way to streamline and minimize the costs it takes just to put yourself out there for the possibility of a job, scholarship, or program. I hope these methods of auditioning continue.

Unknown said...

As someone who when the pandemic started was a performer who was in the self tape world I personally hated self taping I would get in my head and it would never feel as “real” or high energy as an in person audition or callback. That being said, my personal feeling aside, I feel like this change in the audition industry could be good as it allows more people to audition for gigs and jobs without the cost barrer of travel which can often disqualify many capable people from the running for many roles. I do feel like you get a less authentic version of oneself through an online audition or interview because you are not in the room with the people behind the table. I definitely agree with this article COVID has changed the world of auditions in the theater world but I personally can not decide if that change is for better or worse.

Theo Kronemer