CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Support for Latinidad Onstage: A Lifelong, Not a Month-Long, Job

AMERICAN THEATRE: Being a playwright in the American theatre means getting used to scarcity: There are not enough resources to support everyone, or at least that’s what we’re constantly told. For some of us, this pessimism is compounded by other barriers; being a Latinx/e writer in this industry means constantly balancing the upholding of one’s identity in the face of those who reject it while avoiding being pigeonholed into creating stories that fit a narrow vision of who we should be.

1 comment:

John Alexander Farrell said...

This article was eye-opening. On a personal level, I found myself constantly reflecting on the subject of who I am and how I present myself to other people. The author's remark on having to constantly balance upholding one’s identity “in the face of those who reject it” spoke magnitudes to me. Yet what caught my attention was not Francisco Mendoza’s similar struggle, but rather his note on creating / telling stories that do not constrain to “a narrow vision of who we (members of the global majority) should be”.

**On another note, I appreciated Mendoza’s side comment on the term “latinx”. As he points out, “latinx” is seemingly inclusive, however, the reality is “latinx” excludes those to whom the term refers to. In other words, the term “latinx” is not one that translates into the spanish language. Instead, members of the international “latinx” community have opted to use “latine” for its inclusive nature in both languages.