CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 20, 2018

“Sweat” at the Pittsburgh Public Theater

The Pittsburgh Tatler: I’ve expressed in previous posts my impression that certain recent plays – among them, Hir and The Humans – seemed to have taken on new meaning and impact in the wake of the 2016 election. I’m going to add to that list Lynn Nottage’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play Sweat, which is currently running at the Pittsburgh Public Theater in an engaging and compelling production directed by Justin Emeka.

1 comment:

Mirah K said...

This article discusses the relevance of the play Sweat, by Lynn Nottage. I saw Sweat a couple years ago on Broadway and I was not a huge fan of it, simply because I found it to be a little preachy and, as the article says, it tended to overexplain and leave little room for interpretation. I think, however, if I were to see it now, in the wake of Trump’s election and living in his presidency, I would have a different opinion. I think the play explores the lives of characters that are often not explored in mainstream theater and it offers a unique perspective on the kind of people that may have led to Trump’s election. The ignorance, refusal to learn, and hotheaded nature of the characters frustrated me because, as an audience member, I could see the pitfalls of their decisions but they could not seem them themselves. I think the play has taken on a new meaning in the wake of the election and it now has a much more relevant and important message than it did when it was first written.