CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 22, 2018

R.I.P. Stan Lee: Take His Free Online Course "The Rise of Superheroes and Their Impact On Pop Culture"

Open Culture: "I grew up in an exurb where it took nearly an hour to walk to the nearest shop, to the nearest place to eat, to the library," remembers writer Adam Cadre. "And the steep hills made it an exhausting walk.  That meant that until I turned sixteen, when school was not in session I was stuck at home.  This was often not a good place to be stuck. Stan Lee gave me a place to hang out."

1 comment:

Briana Green said...

When I received the notification about Stan Lee’s death, I immediately texted my mom. Ever since I was about 6, we’ve been watching Marvel movies and cartoons. This article does a great job of exploring more than just Stan Lee’s achievements, while still not diminishing them at the same time. The article also touches on the rise of the superhero comics during World War II, which provided children an amazing artistic escape from what was going on in the real world. Comic books and the movie adaptations have become a huge industry and market for not just children, but the adults that were those little children in the 20th century. Even though it wasn’t perfect, Marvel cartoons were one of the first pieces of art that I saw black characters as heros and it really proved to me that representation matters. While we won’t get anymore Stan Lee cameos, I know Marvel will continue to create and build upon the wonderful universe Stan Lee created and collaborated on.