CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 19, 2018

Dancing Across the Political Aisle at 'The Prom'

Theatre Development Fund – TDF: Prom has long been a rite of passage for American teens, a celebration of impending adulthood and, overwhelmingly, heterosexuality. That last part presents a problem for Emma in the new Broadway musical The Prom since she wants to bring her girlfriend. The PTA in her small Indiana town isn't having it, so prom is canceled, turning Emma into the high-school pariah. When the story makes national news, a group of out-of-work Broadway actors and their high-strung publicist take it upon themselves to rush to her aid with riotous results

2 comments:

Annika Evens said...

I keep seeing articles and posts about this show as it just opened but honestly, I have not read any of the articles and I had no clue what this show was about. So reading this article was nice because now I do what it is about. I completely agree with Collins saying that telling this story right now with our country’s current polarization. Having grown up in one of the most liberal cities in the country and going to a school with things like this have never been an issue makes me relate to Dee Dee in this show because I just don’t see why this would ever be a problem. But I think that having this show make sure to show the full side of both sides of this issue is really important because I think this will make more people on both sides more inclined to see the show and have the discussion with people they know who may have a different view than they do.

Marisa Rinchiuso said...

I am so happy about this show. I thought this article gave the show some good background and context, which I had not heard prior to this. Prom is such a landmark event in growing up that it is heart breaking not to get to share it with your loved one. I think the story behind this musical is inspiring and the show is bringing forth a lot of amazing conversations. I know at the Thanksgiving Day parade, during their dance number, when the leads kiss at the end, it was the first live broadcast lesbian kiss. It was baffling to me to read that headline because I thought surely it must have happened before. It was inspiring to see such young and vibrant talent telling important stories. My friend from high school is in the show! (yay Fernell) and he is joined by a lot of other young artists onstage. I think one of the great things about this show is that it's brought new talent to Broadway.