CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 19, 2018

Collaborative contortions set scenes that tell a story in Pilobolus’ ‘Shadowland’

The San Diego Union-Tribune: A job description for the Pilobolus performers in “Shadowland” would include a list of unexpected skills: contortionist, shadowcaster, actor, puppeteer, comedian and the ability to morph into an elephant. The position also requires getting along with others at a very, very close range and the ability to think on your feet … or head, or any and all body parts. After touring to more than 30 countries, the show visits San Diego on Saturday as part of the La Jolla Music Society Dance Series.

1 comment:

Emily Stark said...

I love shadow story telling. I think it’s an amazing form of storytelling that is really old fashioned, traditional, and beautiful. It’s a piece of art that doesn’t give you all the information and requires you to use your imagination while, at the same time, blows your mind with how creative and intricate the work is. I wish I were able to see it! San Diego is a beautiful city that has so much art and creativity. I have a soft spot for the city and I think if I saw Shadowland I would start crying. The story seems like one that will bring the connection and emotions that really spectacular art brings people. I love anything that is unique and requires amazing skill. It just makes you appreciate other people and the world we live in for their incredible hard work and skill.