CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 08, 2018

Antares Autotune: How to Creatively Use Auto-Tune Vocal Tuning

theproaudiofiles.com: This article is going to be about Auto-Tune. Go grab your pitchforks … I’ll wait. For many of you, this is going to be a great article about the creative and practical uses of Auto-Tune in modern music. For another significant portion of you, this will be a great opportunity to make not-so-clever jokes like “the best technique with Auto-Tune is hiring a better singer!”

1 comment:

Kaylie C. said...

I remember when I first learned what Autotune was and suddenly I started began to hear it everywhere. I am someone who usually is not much of a fan of Autotune. I first noticed it and began to hate it when I was in elementary school while listening to High School Musical. The High School Musical franchise began at the height of Autotune, and not in a pretty or creative way. Since then, I have encountered artists who use Autotune in post production for actual creative use such as the band fun. While I am still not a fan of the way it sounds, I now recognize how Autotune has uses other than to fix mistakes. I agree that it is better to use the tool for good than to fight it just because it was once overused in a way that is relatively painful to hear. I’ve always wondered how Autotune works and why in the world people use it. I enjoyed learning about how Autotune can be manipulated to produce different styles.