CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 25, 2017

'Undressed' tells the intimate history of underwear at The Frick Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: In fashion, the evolution of outerwear owes a lot to underwear — but most don’t know the skinny on their skivvies. “Undressed: A History of Fashion in Underwear” is the first exhibition of its kind to tell the intimate and important story of undergarments and their influence in society and style. After stints in the United Kingdom, Russia and Australia, the show comes to The Frick Pittsburgh in Point Breeze — its only stop in the United States. It opens Oct. 21 and runs through Jan. 7. Guests at the “Undressed” gala will get a first glimpse of the exhibition on Thursday.

2 comments:

Drew H said...

I’m sure I’ll catch some grief for this, but another London related article, so I shall comment. I saw this exhibit in London at the Victoria and Albert museum. It was quite an interesting concept and a very cool exhibit. My favorite part was the subtle jokes that were scattered around the exhibit, most notably at the beginning, “Underwear, a brief history.” It is really a clever and interesting exhibit about a topic we don’t typically talk about let alone think about. There really is a lot of influence to fashion that has come from underwear development. Between comfort, form, and function, there are a lot of factors that go into creating underwear and those choices influence the comfort, form, and function of the outward facing clothes we wear each day. I also think that is is very exciting that this exhibit is in Pittsburgh. The show has hit some big name museums and to see a Pittsburgh museum on the list is a great sign for Pittsburgh and the art culture here.

Nicolaus Carlson said...

This is a very interesting exhibition that is going on and something I really want to see now. It is cool and lucky that it is coming to Pittsburgh as its only stop and I’m in Pittsburgh now, so I can’t miss this opportunity. The article already taught me something; that men wore shape wear as well. This was something I didn’t know and I’m sure I will learn a lot more when I go to see the exhibition. The history of it alone intrigues me. What I will learn from observing is far more intriguing and important to me though. It seems I will be able to learn not only how style has changed but also how society has changed. Society will inevitably change with fashion as different and new mindsets create a new style of clothing reflected in such, like when women first started wearing jeans they also started to gain momentum with rights. Although not much but that is an interesting correlation and I am sure I will see more when I go to see this.