CMU School of Drama


Monday, October 30, 2017

The Hallowe'en Holocaust: A Closer Look At The 1963 Holiday On Ice Explosion

Skate Guard: I've long been a fan of the wonderful work done by Allison Manley and PJ Kwong on their respective Manleywoman SkateCast and Open Kwong Dore podcasts. Considering I didn't have a sweet clue about interviewing people when I started the blog last year, I really admire and look up to both Allison and PJ for what they continue to accomplish in doing these important interviews. Sadly though, I hadn't found time to listen to a lot of the less recent ones. That all changed in June. I decided to take a break from my usual routine of listening to music while working my day job and went on a three week bender of playing catch up on many of the interviews I had missed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a incredibly sad story to have to learn about. I was personally not aware of this story before reading this, but it is truly tragic. To think that families came with their children to see a beautiful figure skating performance, only to be killed in a terrible explosion, is disheartening to say the least. What is also sad in a different sense is that this sort of accident may have dissuaded many potential arts purveyors from attending future large crowd arena style events for fear of their own safety. How many future artists and performers were lost that night in the Coliseum, and how many others never got to experience the beauty of a large performing arts venue, because their parents feared for their safety? This should serve as an important lesson and a harrowing tale for any technical theater student that safety should always be a primary concern in the theater. Hopefully a tragedy like this will never happen again and audiences can enjoy the wonder that is performing art.