CMU School of Drama


Monday, October 30, 2017

Linda Bloodworth-Thomason: I Knew About Harvey Weinstein. You Probably Did, Too

Hollywood Reporter: I always knew I wanted to be a writer. As luck would have it, my first three mentors were Hollywood giants Norman Lear, James L. Brooks and Larry Gelbart. These industry icons not only taught me everything I know about writing, they were also perfect gentlemen who never exuded even a hint of sexual impropriety. It wasn't until a few years later that I began to experience sexual harassment — the producer's hand rubbing my back inside my blouse during meetings; the studio exec who, on my first day, encouraged me to wear a bikini to work (sadly, I actually asked, "Why, is there a pool?"); the talent agent I literally had to wrestle to the ground in order to get out of his house. I didn't know then that this is a man's town, based mostly on male friendships. Forget those iconic letters that make up the Hollywood sign. It would be much more fitting if there was a giant penis casting a shadow over all the women who tirelessly endeavor to rise above this unpoliced playground for men.

No comments: