CMU School of Drama


Monday, October 09, 2017

Stage review: Moving 'Equus' rides a wave of emotions at Public Theater

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: The tempest stirred up “Equus” when it galloped onto the theater scene in the 1970s continues in Pittsburgh Public Theater’s stunningly crafted production, featuring intense performances and breathtaking moments of high drama.

Playwright Peter Shaffer’s story of a teenager who commits a horrible crime and the psychiatrist who is charged with helping him arrived on Broadway in 1974 as a sensation. “Equus” was seen wholly original and exhilarating, with its brew of psychoanalysis, religious zeal and eroticism, along with nudity, violence and an inspired representation of horses onstage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope to go see this production soon! I have never seen Equus, or any show at the public for that matter. As part of being at this school, I hope to expand my theater experiences both in doing my own work but also largely in experiencing the wide variety of work being done today. Addmitedly, much of my experience with theater is limited to the plays we performed and read in High School, as well as a number of shows I saw on my own time around my hometown. Now that I am living in such a rich theater community and city, I definitely plan on expanding this experience greatly. Equus seems like a good place to start, due to its stellar reviews and more adult nature. I know that a lot of our class is interested so hopefully we'll go soon!