CMU School of Drama


Monday, April 23, 2018

How trans characters were described in screenplays.

slate.com: Earlier this month, a Vulture feature put screenwriters under a microscope, compiling their introductions for memorable female characters. The descriptions were sometimes worthy of the characters they ushered into the story, as with Carrie Fisher’s extensive and evocative description of Doris Mann in Postcards from the Edge. More often, they revealed a reliance on tired tropes and a fixation on physique—Double Indemnity‘s femme fatale is distinguished by her “very appetizing torso.”

1 comment:

Kelly Simons said...

While I have a degree in film, I've never done any screenwriting. I read through this article's sister pieces about how women are described in screenplays, and for the most part I was pleased with what I read. I'd like to see another article about how men are described in screenplays, because I'm sure the data gathered and presented are rather biased. I like this article about trans characters in films and their descriptions. I think it gives wonderful visibility to trans rights. Even when trans characters are known to the screen writers as trans, their pronouns are incorrect. It appears that screen writers who are trying to write interesting characters who are also trans aren't exactly sure how being trans work. And I know this seem like a minor thing when viewed in the scope of everything else in a film, but you can't claim to represent the trans community and then use the wrong pronouns in their descriptions.