CMU School of Drama


Thursday, February 24, 2011

Riverdance lets loose the joy found in dance

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "For centuries, Irish dancers competing in their sport have looked pretty solemn: They hold their arms stiffly at their sides, and look serious, stoic and humorless as they dance in their Celtic costumes with kilts, says the senior executive producer of 'Riverdance.'
Yet 'Riverdance,' which is coming to the Benedum Center this weekend for three performances, gives audiences a better feel for the friendly, jubilant personality of Irish folks, and has a more modern, mainstream look, Julian Erskine says. And, most of all, the performers smile and have fun, he says.

1 comment:

Sonia said...

I think that this is very interesting because, in reading the article I realized how little I really know about Irish step dancing or 'Riverdance' because I have always had such a great respect for and always wanted to go see it. I never realized that it had to be such a serious solemn thing. I am happy to heat that this version is happier and seem to have no problem conveying the fun that they are having. It is also a nice surprise to hear that they not only do Irish step but also Flamenco and African-American tap. I love that as they say 'It's an expression of joy, an expression of pride, and an expression of one's own culture.' I think that that is what performing should be about. The love and the passion. Since I found out that they are downtown this weekend I am trying to get a group of people together to go see it this weekend, it would be an amazing experience.