CMU School of Drama


Sunday, February 20, 2011

New SCR leader is 'artistic, creative and approachable'

Daily Pilot: "After 47 years of leading Costa Mesa's acclaimed South Coast Repertory theater company, co-founders David Emmes and Martin Benson will soon finally relinquish their shared role of artistic director to Marc Masterson, an outsider from out of state.
'I don't think anyone should expect drastic change or sudden shifts of direction, but I do think that there is a new perspective … A different set of connections and a different way of working perhaps,' Masterson told the Daily Pilot in a phone interview on Friday, during a brief visit to Southern California.

1 comment:

hmiura said...

Growing up in Orange County, I am intrigued in the passing of the baton. Despite it being behind "the orange curtain," SCR has produced some of the most exciting, innovative shows along with safe crowd-pleasers in both of their neat performance spaces. Each time I had the chance to see a show, I felt strangely out of place due to the fact that there were only a couple of audience members under the age of 50; but additionally, I was constantly reminded of how impressed I am with their effort in developing new works by new artists. Hopefully, the new artistic director will keep the development of new plays going, and further entertaining the Orange County audience for decades to come.