Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Friday, October 09, 2026
‘Dirty Dancing: The Musical’ is coming to Broadway
www.broadwaynews.com: “Dirty Dancing: The Musical” comes to Broadway this winter in celebration of the beloved movie’s 40th anniversary. The musical will play the Lena Horne Theatre for a limited engagement from February 12 through September 5, 2027, before resuming its North American tour.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I just recently learned that "Dirty Dancing” was launching a North American Tour a few months ago via social media, and despite only seeing the movie once, I think that I have only seen this movie once. I looked at the casting, and from this article, I have learned that one of my friend’s older sisters is in this show, and it will be her Broadway debut. I also follow the scenic designer on social media, Brett J. Banakis, and his 3D model for the North American Tour, and it looks fantastic. I also have not heard of any of these performers who are leading the show and making up the ensemble, so I'm super thrilled that other artists are getting opportunities to perform on a Broadway stage and in a touring show like this one. This is a show that I definitely hope to see for its limited engagement on Broadway, after a rewatch of the classic movie.
Dirty Dancing is one of my favorite movies of all time, and while having an issue with it being made into a musical in the first place, overall I am very happy that they will get a broadway run. Tours are often a way for young artists to break into the industry, with many established people not wanting to uproot themselves, this means that a considerable number of people in the cast will be making their broadway debut during this run, which i think is such a fantastic thing. I think the set is unique and the costumes are fantastic. I wonder what the songs sound like and how true to the original choreography they are. Given the opportunity I would love to see the show when it comes to Broadway, maybe during a school break, and hopefully I will like it.
How exciting!! I didn’t see this movie until I was 17 but it did not disappoint. I knew it was a classic, coming of age movie. And it was exactly that for me. It has a feeling of untamed young rebellion I haven’t seen represented quite the way I feel it in any other media, new or old. I think a Dirty Dancing musical is a wonderful idea. I can only hope that it will land the lift better than back to the future did. Despite its spectacular tech effects, I heard that one was mid in every other category: music, story, dance. I’m really curious about what the set is going to look like. I feel the setting of a summer camp in a forest is really integral to the atmosphere of the show. I’m curious how they’ll replicate that onstage. Whatever happensI’m sure the music is going to be fantastic.
Post a Comment