Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Wednesday, July 29, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think that using computer vision to allow for tools to better understand their environment is an interesting use case for AI. However, I hope that the machine has backup safety mechanisms that do not rely on computer vision. While computer vision has come a long way in the past decade it is still far from infallible. While I do believe that computer vision is ready for use in many applications safety is not one of them. Industrial machines should always be designed to fail safe. In this case the machine should not start to drill if it is not able to properly align with the drilling point. This part is relatively easy for a machine. There is one authoritative answer for where to drill so it should not start to drill if the conditions do not match. However, unsafe conditions can take many different forms. I simply don't think that with the current state of machine vision that it is safe to entrust it with life or limb.
Post a Comment