CMU School of Drama


Friday, July 03, 2026

Best Practices for Protest Sound

SoundGirls.org: Why Sound matters and should not be an afterthought. It helps people hear important information clearly, keeps crowds connected and engaged, supports accessibility, and allows speakers, performers, organizers, and communities to communicate effectively in difficult environments. Poor sound, on the other hand, can create confusion, fatigue, safety issues, and frustration.

1 comment:

Jackson Watts said...

This article was interesting to me because despite the added challenges of needing to be mobile and not working in a standard venue there's still overlap with existing best practices. While I didn't think about it before reading the article it makes sense the one of the core challenges is getting power to all of the equipment. More mobile protests need some way to either keep sound running on the move or to tear down the equipment and quickly set it up again at the next stop. But one of the things that I didn't think about was the decreased separation between what I would typically consider audience areas and backstage areas. It makes sense now that the article mentions it but of all the considerations in protest sound I hadn't expected cable management to make the list. But due to the nature of working in public spaces it makes sense that you need to pay particular attention to cable management.