Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with the article that there should be a clearer delineation between previews and opening. I think that especially with modern trends in the pricing of previews audience members don't understand the concept of previews. While as a theatre nerd I find it interesting to have the opportunity to get a sneak peak at theatre, I think that it is understandable for an audience that is paying nearly full price to expect a nearly finished product. But as the article discusses a show cannot be finished without taking audience perception into account. While I agree with the article that not inviting influencers to the show before official opening would help, I don't think that alone would be enough to convey the purpose of previews to the audience. Ultimately I think that the price of previews should not be equivalent to the finalized version of the show. I believe that when previews are priced similarly to the finalized version of the show it gives the impression that previews are some special performance for the audience to catch a glimpse of the finalized production before opening. If previews were priced lower it would help to manage expectations should something not go as intended during previews.
Post a Comment